ASP.NET Web Forms and MVC are two web frameworks developed by Microsoft - they are both good choices. Neither of the web frameworks are to be replaced by the other nor are there plans to have them 'merged' into a single framework. Continued support and development are done in parallel by Microsoft and neither will be 'going away'.
Each of these web frameworks offers advantages/disadvantages - some of which need to be considered when developing a web application. A web application can be developed using either technology - it might make development for a particular application easier selecting one technology versus the other and vice versa.
The main advantages of ASP.net MVC are:
- Enables the full control over the rendered HTML.
- Provides clean separation of concerns(SoC).
- Enables Test Driven Development (TDD).
- Following the design of stateless nature of the web.
- RESTful urls that enables SEO.
- No ViewState and PostBack events
The main advantage of ASP.net Web Form are:
- It provides RAD development
- Easy development model for developers those coming from winform development.